When you think of raisins do you think healthy? When I was a child my mother always told me that raisins are known as “nature’s candy” and that they are very good for you. But have you ever thought that they can actually cause cavities?

Recent research has indicated that by the time children reach kindergarten, over 40% of children already have one or more cavities. When you look at it from a pediatric dentist’s point of view, raisins are sticky and contain a lot of sugar which may cause your child to develop cavities! Of course raisins aren’t the only cause of cavities; it is the combined effort of many other things such as juice, junk foods, candies, lack of brushing and just not visiting the dentist every 6 months.

Everything has a list of pros and cons and it is important to remember that MODERATION IS KEY! With childhood obesity on the rise, it is good to know that one of the pros of eating raisins is that they are low in fat and cholesterol too! Raisins also happen to be high in fiber, iron, potassium and some calcium.

You may be asking….what about all that sugar? Isn’t there a lot of sugar in raisins? The answer is Yes BUT raisins contain NATURAL SUGARS which is much different than refined and processed sugars in sweets.

So what’s the bottom line? Well, your child can have raisins because there are many benefits to them but do not let them overindulge! Moderation is key so too much of anything can be harmful. Make sure your child brushes and flosses their teeth after eating sticky things like raisins…and you should do the same!

Comments:






Contact Us

Please do not submit any Protected Health Information (PHI).

11411 SE Sunnyside Road, Suite 101 Clackamas, OR 97015

Direct Line: (503)-855-5100
Fax: (503)-826-5196
Email:  [email protected]